Pastor's Bible Study
Every Wednesday morning during the school year, Dr. Furr teaches adults on a wide variety of topics with discussion – often a book of the Bible or some aspect of the Christian life or doctrine. All you need is a Bible and an inquisitive mind! Occasionally, a particular book is ordered for everyone who wants to purchase a copy. This group meets on Wednesday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. in the Adult Seminar Room across from the Library. Find current topics under Latest News. Please join in.
important news for our members
june 5, 2018
Important News for Our Members
A Baptist church operates congregationally. That means the well-being of the church is the responsibility of all the members working together to carry out its ministries. This requires many different qualities, but first is a personal commitment to Christ and to our common life together. A small part of that is to stay informed about your church family and what is happening among us.
This summer in our church, the pace of change is great. Several significant changes are taking place simultaneously. Therefore, to help you, I have listed several important notices here for you. Please read them carefully and be a part of our busy summer together! I believe an exciting year is up ahead and everyone is needed to help it work!
1. We welcome Marty Watts as our Minister of Music and Worship! Marty began his first day on Monday, and he, Karyn and Duncan will be with us as he begins to plan and lead our worship weekly. As you see the Watts family, give them your usual loving VHBC welcome and introduce yourself to them. To help them in knowing us, let’s wear name tags for the month of June! It will help us remember that name we forgot of one another, too!
2. Important Called Business Meeting in the Sanctuary, Sunday, June 17 at 9:00 a.m.! The Personnel Committee will bring a recommendation in the form of a motion regarding the position of Administrative Pastor following Dennis Anderson’s retirement next year. The Committee has spent many hours studying, talking with staff and looking at options for Dr. Anderson’s successor. They will bring a motion to the church for a vote on that Sunday.
3. Your Giving Now Is Really Needed! Faithfulness is behavior most of all. To keep a steady ministry going in times of change, your generosity is crucial. As always, in the summer, cash flow is often low and expenses high with youth activities, children’s programs, mission trips and more. This is a wonderful time to give ahead if you are able. We need your help now! Please consider catching up or giving ahead on your pledge for this year.
4. Minister to Students Search Committee Listening Times. The Search Committee has begun its work. They will offer a voluntary listening session during the Sunday School hour on June 24 in the Sanctuary. Anyone interested is welcome to attend and offer their input.
5. Fellowship Hall Renovation is Underway! As the routes to classes and around the church have temporarily changed, I want to thank you all for your patience. We have signs around the church to help you get where you need to be. Don’t hesitate to help visitors find their way around!
6. Concert on June 24, 5:00 p.m. Jim Hurst and Roberto Dalla Vecchia. Two of the world’s finest guitarists will be with us in 10:00 worship and for a 5:00 p.m. concert on Sunday, June 24. You don’t want to miss this!
Use the website and your newsletter to stay in touch with what is going on. I will be sending updates and information as relevant and to help us communicate during this time. Most of all, we have ministries carrying on as always, so pray for one another and give faithfully!