July Bible study for adults
For the five Sundays in July, our adult Bible study classes are invited to meet together.
Description of our study topic
Beginning with Israel’s great statement of monotheism, the Shema, this unit examines ways that Israel’s commitment to one God frames their identity as God’s people. They destroy Canaanite religious sites in order to worship God in the place set before them. They also anoint kings to rule on their behalf, choosing people who observe the law and resist the trappings of power. Finally, they offer their first fruits to express their faith, to remember God’s provision, and to enact God’s vision for a just society. Just as Moses entreated God’s people on the banks of the Jordan, we are called to choose life by following these commandments and by seeking God first.
- July 1: LaRue Speights, The LORD Is Our God (Deuteronomy 6:4-16)
- July 8: Ryan Hankins, God’s Chosen Place (Deuteronomy 12:1-11, 28)
- July 15: Jess Nix, A Godly King (Deuteronomy 17:14-20)
- July 22: Scott McGinnis, An Inheritance to Possess (Deuteronomy 26:1-11)
- July 29: Sheryl Buckner, A Choice to Make (Deuteronomy 30:11-20)